Student Move-In Affects Campus Traffic and Parking
Advisory for Thursday, September 18, and Sunday, September 21, 2008
This information is directed to Ohio State University faculty, staff and visitors. Students who are moving in should follow the instructions mailed separately to their home address and also available at the Housing site.
Thursday, September 18, OWL Move-In
Traffic will be very heavy in residence hall areas from about 3 to 9 p.m., as approximately 1,500 OWLs (Ohio State Welcome Leaders, students who volunteer to help others move in) arrive. Access to loading zones and parking spaces adjacent to residence halls (including Lincoln Tower) will be restricted during these hours. Expect major congestion on West 10th, 11th and 12th Avenues, Cannon Drive, College Road, Curl Drive and other streets adjacent to residence halls.
Staff and faculty who use these streets to leave campus should consider alternative routes on Sept. 18 in order to avoid delay.
Sunday, September 21, Residence Hall Move-In Day
Approximately 5,000 students will move into residence halls on Sunday. All other drivers are advised to avoid the campus and nearby streets if possible. Traffic movement and access to campus parking will be modified as outlined below. University personnel working on move-in day are asked to plan for early arrival to campus to avoid peak traffic flow and to allow for the inevitable delays in movement about campus throughout the day. Medical Center employees are encouraged to enter campus at West 9th and Neil Avenues, King Avenue and Cannon Drive, Herrick and Cannon, or from the Medical Center exit on SR 315.
Please follow the directions of traffic control officers.
- **Tow-Away Zones**
- To clear the designated parking areas for students who are moving in, on Sunday, September 21, ANY vehicles in the following parking zones after 3 a.m. will be towed (see Parking Relocations below for alternate parking areas):
Vehicles are towed at owner's expense and may be retrieved through Transportation and Parking Services at 292-9341.
- Curl Drive and all parking lots along Curl Drive
- Neilwood Gables lot
- South Lincoln lot
- West Stadium lot
- Northeast and Southeast Stadium lots
- 11th and 12th Avenues
- College Road
- Hale Hall lot
- Parking lots south of 11th Avenue and east of Neil Avenue
- 10th Avenue between Neil and Worthington
- All residence hall (including Lincoln Tower) loading zones and service drives, and any parking spaces adjacent to these buildings
- All dining commons loading zones and service drives
- Parking Relocations
- North Residence Halls Area: Curl Drive and the Taylor Tower, Drackett Tower, and Neilwood Gables parking lots will be restricted, effective 12:00 midnight, September 20, to all traffic and parking except for students moving into the residence halls. Vehicles with current staff permits may park in Northwest Garage and Tuttle Park Place Garage at no charge. Regular parking procedures will resume on Monday, September 22 at 6 a.m.
- Olentangy Residence Halls Area: The South Lincoln lot, the West Stadium lot, the Northwest Stadium lot, the Northeast Stadium lot, and the Southeast Stadium lot will be restricted, effective 3 a.m., September 20 for parking except for students moving into the residence halls. Vehicles with current staff permits may park between Morrill and Lincoln Towers or in the Polo or South French Field house lots. Regular parking procedures will resume on Monday, September 22 at 6 a.m.
- South Residence Halls Areas: Eleventh and Twelfth Avenues; College Road; the parking lot south of Hale Hall; parking lots south of Eleventh Avenue; and the Eleventh Avenue Garage will be restricted effective 3 a.m., September 20, to all traffic and parking except for students moving into the residence halls. Vehicles with current staff permits may park in the 9th Avenue garage at no charge. Regular parking procedures will resume on Monday, September 22 at 6 a.m.
- Traffic Plan
We strongly discourage motorists from driving through the campus area on Sunday, September 21. Officers will be controlling traffic at major campus intersections and along the streets bordering campus.
Campus streets closed to through traffic and restricted to move-in traffic are:
- Fred Taylor Drive between Ackerman Road and Lane Avenue
- Borror Drive between Fred Taylor Drive and Olentangy River Road
- Fyffe Road between Lane Avenue and Woody Hayes Drive
- Woody Hayes Drive and Woodruff Avenue between John Herrick Drive and Curl Drive
- Curl Drive from Woodruff to Neil
- 11th Avenue and 12th Avenue between High Street and Neil Avenue
- 10th Avenue between Neil Avenue and Worthington Street
- 12th Avenue from 12th Avenue Garage to Neil Avenue
- Neil Avenue between 10th and 17th Avenues and between Tuttle Park Place and Lane Avenue
- College Road between 10th and Woodruff Avenues
- Cannon Drive between Woody Hayes Drive and Herrick Drive
- Tuttle Park Place between Lane Avenue and 17th Avenue
- 17th Avenue between Tuttle Park Place and College Road
Go to the Transportation & Parking website for more information.